Lewes rail line to reopen in September as work under way to remove train

18 hours ago  ·  4 min read
By Emily Jones - traveloasisspot.com

Traveloasisspot.com – Work is under way to remove a derailed train from a track in East Sussex after an incident that injured 30 people, as rail bosses confirmed the line will reopen in September.

A major incident was declared by British Transport Police (BTP) after three carriages derailed on their side, trapping passengers on board the Southern train near Lewes on August 13.

Some 20 people went to hospital and two passengers sustained serious injuries, which are not deemed to be life-threatening.

One person remains in hospital, according to BTP.

On Thursday, Network Rail and Southern Railway said the line between Lewes and Haywards Heath will remain closed until September 1 while the train is recovered and the tracks are repaired.

Meanwhile, the first of the three derailed carriages was lifted using two large cranes.

Footage shows a train carriage being held by the crane on Thursday afternoon. Staff can be seen carrying luggage and bicycles off the upright carriage.

Lucy McAuliffe, Sussex route director for Network Rail, said: “I can only apologise for the disruption that this incident is causing to people’s journeys, and I want to personally thank people for their patience and their understanding alongside the many rail industry colleagues supporting the recovery.

“The location of the derailment, which happened in close proximity to the River Ouse, means that reinstatement of the site is particularly complex, with teams working round the clock to reopen the line for customers as soon and as safely as possible.

“The recovery is being carried out with careful consideration for the area around the derailment site, ensuring the area’s ecology is protected and being mindful of residents living nearby.”

Network Rail and Southern previously described how the carriages slid “part-way down the embankment” and they will need to be “carefully lifted away by crane”.

John Whitehurst, chief executive of Greater Thameslink Railway, which operates Southern, added: “Getting the line open in time for the end of the school holidays is an absolute priority for us, and we are working closely with Network Rail to achieve this despite very challenging circumstances.”

It comes as investigators into the crash said it appeared the track buckled on what was the hottest day of the year so far.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) described the fault – recorded by cameras on preceding services – as a “track geometry irregularity”.

Londoners wary as Live Facial Recognition trialled at transport hubs

Investigation into London train derailment near Lewes finds 'track irregularity'

Train derailment probe focusing on hot weather as track appears to have buckled

Rediscover your adventurous side on an exotic getaway

It said its investigation into the crash will consider the weather conditions.

August 13 was the UK’s hottest day of 2026 so far, with temperatures reaching 38.1C in west London.

The RAIB noted there was “a sustained period of hot and dry weather” before the accident.

There is a risk of rails buckling during high temperatures as they can be 50C when the air temperature is 30C.

Preliminary analysis of the derailed Southern train’s onboard data recorder show it was travelling at about 65mph as it approached the point of derailment at 3.54pm on August 13.

About 150 people were onboard the eight-carriage service from London Victoria to Eastbourne.

Transfer news LIVE: Arsenal triple deal, Alvarez boost; Man Utd medical; Chelsea signing; Liverpool latest

Transfer news LIVE: Arsenal triple deal, Alvarez hope; Man Utd medical

New Manchester United transfer target revealed as '£65m deal agreed'

New Man Utd transfer target revealed as '£65m deal agreed'

Prince William ‘united with the King’ against Harry and Meghan returning as working royals

William ‘united' with King against Sussexes return as working royals

Tottenham XI vs Brentford: Confirmed team news, predicted lineup and injury latest for Premier League

Tottenham XI vs Brentford: Confirmed team news and predicted lineup

Michael Carrick confirms Manchester United transfer target as Carlos Baleba 'agrees' personal terms

Man Utd confirm target for remainder of window after Baleba twist

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Lewes rail line to reopen in September?

Lewes rail line to reopen in September is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.

Why does Lewes rail line to reopen in September matter?

Lewes rail line to reopen in September matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.

More from this category