Suicide Note and Hate Speech: What We Know About San Diego Shooting Suspects
A suicide note with writings about racial pride and hate speech was discovered at the scene of a deadly attack at San Diego’s largest Islamic center. On Monday, two suspects—17-year-old Cain Clark and his 18-year-old companion—were found dead in a vehicle near the mosque, their bodies marked by self-inflicted gunshot wounds. The note, linked to the shooting, suggests a motive rooted in racial ideology, while the weapon used also bore messages of hate. Authorities are piecing together the events leading to the violence, which left three people dead, including a security guard whose quick actions helped save lives.
Investigation Unfolds with Key Evidence
Police have confirmed that the suspects were discovered at the scene after an active-shooter response was initiated. The suicide note, found in Clark’s home, references racial pride, indicating a possible link to the attack. Additionally, one of the weapons used featured inscriptions of hate speech, further fueling speculation about the incident’s motives. “The content of the note and the weapon’s writings appeared more generalized than specific,” said San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl, who emphasized the need for thorough analysis of the evidence.
“We are still actively investigating this as we speak, but it was more generalized. It was a city and a community’s absolute worst nightmare as a free society,” Wahl stated during a press briefing.
Missing Suspects and Family Concerns
About two hours before the shooting, the mother of Cain Clark called police to report her son and his vehicle missing, along with multiple weapons. This prompted a heightened threat assessment, as Clark’s history of suicidal tendencies was noted by his family. The suspects were described as wearing camouflage, raising questions about their preparedness for the attack. “Officers were reporting around 12 p.m. Monday searching for ‘two white males… wearing all camo’ who might be armed with a stolen handgun, a shotgun, and a rifle,” said CNN, citing dispatch audio reviewed by the network.
When officers arrived at the mosque, they found three victims dead outside the building. The security guard’s heroic efforts during the active shooter situation were praised by officials. After securing the area, investigators discovered the suspects’ vehicle, confirming the tragic outcome. The presence of both a suicide note and hate speech on the weapon has drawn attention to the broader context of the attack.
Background on the Suspect
Cain Clark had previously attended Kate Sessions Elementary School and later the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts. Before transitioning to homeschooling in 2021, he was an active wrestler at Madison High School, where he competed from 2024 to 2025. A spokesperson for the school district noted that Clark had no disciplinary history beyond a minor incident in elementary school, where he punched someone in the leg.
However, this year marked a shift in Clark’s behavior. He had not participated in any school activities, a change that has led to questions about his mental state and potential triggers for the attack. A wrestling team member shared that Clark was once a “friendly guy” who loved competing, but his recent actions suggest a more volatile mindset. The school’s social media post celebrating his past achievements now contrasts sharply with the violence he unleashed.
Community Response and Ongoing Inquiry
Clark’s grandparents, David and Deborah Clark, expressed shock and sorrow after the attack. They described their struggle to comprehend the tragedy, adding that they felt “very sorry for what happened.” The incident has deeply affected the local Muslim community, with the mosque serving as a central gathering place. “This was not just an attack on a place of worship; it was a targeted act of hate,” said a community leader, highlighting the significance of the event.
The FBI is working closely with local agencies to determine the full scope of the incident. Investigators are examining all available evidence, including the suspects’ personal connections and potential influences. “We are gathering all the evidence from the scene for review,” said FBI Special Agent Mark Remily, emphasizing the thoroughness of the investigation. The combination of a suicide note and hate speech on a weapon has left authorities with many unanswered questions about the suspect’s intentions.