US and Nigerian forces kill senior ISIS commander, Trump says
US and Nigerian forces kill senior – On Friday, U.S. and Nigerian military units successfully eliminated a high-ranking ISIS figure, according to a statement from President Donald Trump. The operation, which Trump described as a significant blow to the terrorist organization, targeted Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, identified as the second-in-command of ISIS worldwide. The president emphasized that the mission was a “meticulously planned and very complex” effort, executed with precision by American and Nigerian forces under his guidance. “Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly carried out a mission to remove one of the most active terrorists from the battlefield,” Trump declared in a Truth Social post late Friday.
“He will no longer terrorize the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans,” the president added, highlighting the strategic importance of the strike. Trump’s comments underscored the broader goal of weakening ISIS’s presence in the region, which has been a focal point of international counterterrorism efforts. The attack, however, was not accompanied by specific details about the location, leaving the exact site of the operation undisclosed. “He believed he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us updated on his movements,” Trump noted, expressing confidence in the intelligence network that supported the mission.
The U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control provided additional context about al-Minuki, revealing he was born in 1982 in the northeastern Nigerian state of Borno. This region, which borders Cameroon, Chad, and Niger, has long been a hotspot for militant activity, with al-Minuki emerging as a key figure in ISIS’s operations. Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s office confirmed the operation in a separate statement, calling it a “daring joint mission” that dealt a critical blow to the Islamic State. “Early assessments confirm the elimination of the wanted IS leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, along with several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin,” the statement read.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth echoed the administration’s assessment, stating that the U.S. had been tracking the ISIS leader for months. “We hunted this top ISIS leader in Nigeria who was killing Christians, and we killed him — along with his entire group,” Hegseth said. The operation exemplified the collaboration between American and Nigerian forces, with the latter playing a crucial role in the planning and execution. “These actions showcase the exceptional lethality, patience, and skill of U.S. forces, enhanced by the cooperation of willing and capable partners,” Hegseth added, emphasizing the shared security goals between the two nations.
Trump’s acknowledgment of the operation marked a continuation of his efforts to target ISIS in Nigeria, where the group has been responsible for numerous attacks on Christian communities. In December, the president had previously ordered a “powerful and deadly strike against ISIS” in the northwestern region, claiming it targeted those perpetrating violence against innocent Christians. A month earlier, he had floated the idea of military action following reports of a “mass slaughter” of Muslims by Islamist insurgents. The Nigerian government, however, dismissed these claims, asserting that it was actively addressing the threat of violence against Christians and questioning the need for further intervention.
Christians and Muslims represent the two dominant religious groups in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country with an estimated population of 237.5 million. Analysts argue that the situation on the ground is multifaceted, with both communities experiencing targeted attacks from radical factions. While ISIS has been a primary adversary, other extremist groups and local insurgencies have also contributed to the violence. The conflict is driven by a combination of factors, including religious tensions, ethnic rivalries, and disputes over land and water resources between farmers and herders. These issues have persisted for years, creating a complex security landscape that requires sustained international support.
Trump’s recent statement on the operation aligns with a pattern of presidential involvement in counterterrorism efforts in Nigeria. His administration has consistently framed the actions as necessary to protect American interests and stabilize the region. The elimination of al-Minuki is seen as a pivotal moment in this strategy, as the commander was believed to have coordinated several high-profile attacks in the Lake Chad Basin. The compound where he was killed is located in an area frequently targeted by ISIS, which has been operating in the region for over a decade. Nigerian forces have been instrumental in this campaign, working alongside U.S. military advisors to disrupt ISIS’s operations.
Following the operation, Nigerian President Tinubu expressed gratitude toward Trump for his leadership and support. “Nigeria appreciates this partnership with the United States in advancing our shared security objectives,” Tinubu wrote on social media, praising the collaborative approach. The president also highlighted the importance of joint operations in combating terrorism, noting that such efforts demonstrate the effectiveness of combined military strategies. However, the Nigerian government has occasionally criticized the U.S. for focusing on symbolic victories rather than addressing the root causes of the conflict, such as poverty and political instability.
Experts suggest that while the removal of al-Minuki is a notable achievement, the long-term success of counterterrorism efforts depends on more than just military action. “The impact of such strikes is significant, but they must be part of a broader strategy that includes community engagement, economic development, and addressing the grievances that fuel extremism,” said one analyst. The Nigerian government has been working to strengthen its own security forces, with Trump’s support playing a role in this progress. Nevertheless, the country remains vulnerable to attacks, particularly in regions where ISIS and other groups have established strongholds.
As the operation unfolds, attention is now turning to the next steps in the fight against ISIS. With al-Minuki removed, the group may face challenges in maintaining its operational tempo in Nigeria. However, the threat of other extremist organizations persists, requiring continued vigilance. The collaboration between the U.S. and Nigeria highlights the importance of international partnerships in combating terrorism, even as domestic challenges remain. “The elimination of this leader is a major milestone, but it is only one piece of a larger puzzle,” said another expert, emphasizing the need for sustained efforts to ensure lasting stability in the region.

